1. What is your name?
2. Which hospice do you work for?
St Francis Hospice
3. What do you do there?
Professional Nurse in Palliative Care
4. How long have you been there?
21 years and more
1. Why did you decide to focus on palliative care?
In 1975 the hospital list changed and referred me to the oncology department.
2. What gives you the greatest fulfilment?
Pain and symptom control.
3. What do you find the most challenging?
Symptoms not controlled and social problems.
4. What do you think people find the most challenging about a life-threatening diagnosis?
Fear of dying.
5. What do you think that you personally bring to your job that reflects who you are as a person?
Empathy, passion for my profession. Love of my friends and family.
6. How do you take care of your own health and balance?
Work and travel.
7. What is your advice to anyone else wishing to join your profession?
Be passionate about your profession.
8. What is your advice to anyone given a life-threatening diagnosis?
To remain positive.
9. What is your advice to the loved ones of anyone who is given a life-threatening diagnosis?
To be understanding and supportive.
10. How do your loved ones feel about the work that you do?
Proud of my profession.
11. What do you like the most about the hospice that you work with?
Being one big supportive family.