1. What is your name?
2. Which hospice do you work for?
St Bernard’s Hospice
3. What do you do there?
4. How long have you been there?
1. Why did you decide to focus on palliative care?
When growing up I wanted to become a nurse. I love it, I love that I can take care of sick patients.
2. What gives you the greatest fulfilment?
When visiting a patient in their home, I enjoy seeing the joy and hope on their faces when they see me.
3. What do you find the most challenging?
It is challenging when patients have given up on themselves, and they have a negative attitude. So, I council and educate them.
4. What do you think people find the most challenging about a life-threatening diagnosis?
Many people think they can’t live a long and healthy life with their diagnosis.
5. What do you think that you personally bring to your job that reflects who you are as a person?
I bring kindness, love and generosity.
6. How do you take care of your own health and balance?
So far, I have never being diagnosed with an illness.
7. What is your advice to anyone else wishing to join your profession?
You must be ready to accept. Although you are providing an important service, you must accept that they will die at some point; one should learn to accept that and understand it is not their fault.
8. What is your advice to anyone given a life-threatening diagnosis?
Make peace with yourself and cherish.
9. What is your advice to the loved ones of anyone who is given a life-threatening diagnosis?
Don’t give up, show them love even in their last moments.
10. How do your loved ones feel about the work that you do?
At first, they could not understand. They now know that I love my job of caring for patients, they now support me.
11. What do you like the most about the hospice that you work with?
The staff is united, and we support each other both personally and professionally.
12. Do you have a “motto” that you tend to live by that you would like to share?
Respect everyone and all the different situations. You cannot be good enough for everybody, but you will always be best for the one who deserves you.